Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 8: Today's Music

                I know I’m a little bit young to be talking about how everything was better ‘back in the day,’ but when I look at the top 10 songs on iTunes, I can’t help but lose faith in society. The most popular songs are comprised of over-produced beats (see ‘Good Feeling’), and pitiful, meaningless lyrics (see ‘Rack City’). Bands with real talent are becoming a minority, and wannabe rappers are taking their places. I believe that the hip-hop genre of music is expanding indefinitely, leaving other styles of music to die. Now, before I proceed to call every rapper terrible, I would like to point out that I think there are still some rap artists who I find talented, such as Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Drake. But really, the rest are just dreadful. When I was a bit younger, I had admittedly bad taste in music. Up until around a year ago, I enjoyed artists like Lil Wayne. I also purchased every pop song that was topping the charts so that I could have cool music like everybody else. Then one day, I began listening to My Chemical Romance. My eyes were opened, and I had discovered a new kind of music: moderately good music. Soon after, I began listening to Coldplay, Keane, Darren Criss, and The Shins. Once I was accustomed to listening to excellent music, I quickly learned that I couldn’t go back to my previous habits. I’m afraid that because of this I’ve become a bit of a music snob.
                The music industry has become a place where originality goes to die. It’s been forever since I’ve listened to something new that really stands out in my mind as good. Because of the time involved to create a good album, I have to wait years for new albums from the bands I like to come out. Then, once I purchase them, I listen to each track on the album repeatedly, until finally I can’t listen to it anymore. THEN I have to wait again. If a fresh, new talent isn’t introduced to the musical community to fix the crisis that I’m facing, I fear that I’ll have to go through life with only the terrible music on the radio to frighten my sense of hearing.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Ben. Some people, MY BROTHER, have no taste in music. They just go along with what other people like. There are some bands and songs that are so obviously copying other songs to be called music. They change it ever so slightly, and call it their own, and then someone else does the same thing that they did, only with their music, and this continues until it isn't even music. Also so many rappers simply speak quickly about how horrible or amazing their lives are, more for the later because they got rich off of singing how amazing or horrible their lives are. WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR SOCIETY? DO YOU HAVE EARS? Please for all of you people out their who like this music, pull up your pants, put on a belt, and let us get on with our lives.

    PS ben you make have inspired me to make my own psychotic rants

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the second song to have some very offensive language. I do agree that "this industry" is going down. Everything sounds exactly the same. Thats why I stick to country music. :P

    ReplyDelete