Monday, January 9, 2012

Day #3: My Own Insecurities


They live in the outskirts of our minds, feeding off of negative emotions and experiences. Insecurities. Everybody has them, and I find myself in a constant struggle with mine daily. Let me tell you a story. I have never really been in a relationship, that is, excluding a pitiful failure in fifth grade. I was an awkward child, and my actions years ago have been my only real experience with girls in that sense. Anyway, because I was so awkward and unknowing, I quickly found ways to make a fool of myself and define myself as un-romantic. Because of what happened, every time that I find myself in a situation with potential for romance, I am visited by ghosts from my past, reminding me that I’m only going to screw things up again. The whole thing is sort of like the polar opposite of that fat-free yogurt commercial where the lady eats healthily once, and then is able to continue eating right, exercising, and being happy. Because I let myself be defined as un-romantic, I view myself in a way that is according to that. You can ask any of my friends, I become extremely uncomfortable around girls I don’t know. The only reason that so many of my closest friends are girls is because I’ve known them for years. To be honest, this is one of my biggest fears about going to a public school next year.
                As I said, I truly hate my own insecurities. My ongoing struggle is one to rival that of even Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader’s. My only advice regarding how not to let your insecurities control you is not to get hung up on the past. When my insecurities try to govern my actions, I remind myself that I’m not the same person I was when I was labeled. Also, I’ve noticed that I’m close to opportunity whenever my insecurities are the loudest and most apparent. I just need to remind myself that the sole purpose of my insecurities’ existence is to keep me from doing what I can, and that it is within my power to rise above them.

3 comments:

  1. Ben, this post is really great! I love how you brought in your personal life and how you werent afraid to share what had happened to you. Insecurities are something that everyone has, and trust me I have plenty of them to. Dont be afraid to go to public school next year because I know that you will survive and have a great time! Dont let what people say get into your head, just listen to yourself.
    -ariele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Ben! Thisi post is really three-dimmensional, and I appreciate how you're extremely open about sharing your insecurties. And don't worry about high school, with Jeff Wiseman's help, you'll be the coolest kid in all of CR North!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this post. You always seem so confident and it's strange to see a new side of you, and made me realize that everyone really does have their own insecurities. Good Job Ben!

    ReplyDelete